Search Engine Optimization
What is SEO?
Search Engine Optimization, referred to as SEO, is the process of optimizing website pages with techniques used to increase your position (or rank), in a search engine, like Google or Bing. You want your site to rank as high as possible when people search for the products or services that you offer. The goal is to increase traffic to your website. To do that, you need to be as close to the top of the first page of your category as you can get. You don’t want to end up on page 30; nobody will see your site!
The first step in optimization is to understand what Google looks for in a website.
It’s Not Complicated
Search engines are looking for high quality subject matter that is easy to access.
Focus on Content
Consider this example: Mark wants a pizza delivered to his house, so he logs on to an internet search engine, and types in “pizza places that deliver to Lake Stevens, WA”. Up pops a list of pizza restaurants with content that matches the terms of his search. If you own a pizza delivery service near Lake Stevens, how do you get Mark to order from you?
- Write for your audience first. Sometimes people get so wrapped up in trying to please the search engines, they forget who they are trying to reach.
- Keep your story brief and persuasive. Readers will look at one or two sentences, and scan the rest. Make your first sentence count.
- Incorporate keywords effectively. From an SEO perspective, keywords are not as important as they used to be, but relevance still counts with the user.
- Add images that complement your text. Quality is important; low quality is a turn-off.
- Update your site regularly, so search engines know your site is active and well maintained.
How Do I Improve My Position in the Search Results?
Your website will need to be designed and coded in such a way that search engines can easily scan through it and understand what your company is all about. They reward only those whose websites make a genuine effort to provide their visitors with exactly what they want. Make sure your website is:
- Well-written, with pleasing images
Search engines reward only those who make a genuine effort to provide their visitors with exactly what they want, which is informative, well-written content on fast websites that are easy to navigate.
If you’d like to know how well your website stacks up to current search engine standards and ranking signals, contact us through the form below. We’ll give you a free audit in terms of design, on-page optimization, content and social media, and answer any other questions you might have about how SEO works.